Our work with Children and Young People
Posted: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:21
Whilst our overall offer for Children and Young People is currently being finalised, we know that over the next 3 years, as part of our commitment to 'Towards an Active Nation', Active Humber will work with children and young people from the age of 5 upwards to support them to become more motivated, confident and able to get active, laying the foundations for being active throughout their lives.
Active Humber will do this through the delivery of several programmes aimed at Children & Young People; working with partners of other local Children & Young People programmes which clearly compliment the focus of getting the inactive active and the excluded included.
The programmes being delivered across the Humber sub region are:
- Satellite Clubs - are local sport and or physical hubs that are designed around the needs of young people and provide them with positive, enjoyable experiences that make it easy for them to become active or to develop more regular activity habits.They are aimed at 14-19 year olds who are inactive or less active on a regular basis. Funding is available to support a minimum of 20 weeks of regular activity, supporting young people to undertake moderate to vigorous intensity activity during the course of the satellite club and locally must target one of the 4 key target areas - females, disability, mental health and lower socio-economic areas.
- School Games - inspiring young people locally to participate in competitive sport. Active Humber are responsible for delivering the County-wide festivals and competitions which usually includes the organisation and management of 20 different events every academic year including young people from primary, secondary and special schools from across the Humber sub region.
- Primary PE & Sport Premium - the primary PE and sport premium is ring fenced funding allocated directly to primary schools to improve the provision of PE and sport in schools, supporting all pupils leaving primary school to be physically literate and providing them with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport. Active Humber support the local network of primary schools by working with key partners to support primary schools to maximise the impact of Primary PE & Sport Premium.
- DfE Young Leaders - is a Department for Education funded programme supporting the recruitment and training of local young volunteers to support the School Games programme. Active Humber work alongside partners in education to identify young people mainly between the ages of 16-25 to increase the quality and quantity of the volunteer workforce to support the School Games initiative across the Humber.
- Active Lives Children's surveys - is a world leading approach to gathering data on how children engage with sport and physical activity. Each terms schools are randomly selected to take part in the survey and the surveys cover measures of children's activity levels (children in Years 1-11), physical literacy, swimming proficiency, wellbeing, self-efficacy and levels of social trust. Working with key partners Active Humber work with those local schools identified to undertake the survey to support them through the process of completing the surveys. Results will assist Active Humber and local partners working with 5-16 year olds to understand children's attitudes and behaviours around sport and physical activity and ultimately support the development of local plans for children and young people to feel more motivated, confident and able to get active.
If you have any questions on this area of our work please don't hesitate to get in touch.
Nicola Massingham, Development Manager